11 February 2009

What's the Big Deal With Sam?

I think I have a pretty diverse sense of what is funny and what isn't, but after listening to Sam Kinison I'm at a loss. I can hear how he has influenced a diverse array of comics, from Bill Hicks to Lewis Black to Gabriel Iglesias. I can hear it and I imagine when they first heard Kinison, their minds were blown, but now he just sounds like a loud, angry misogynist.


He's not unfunny in the way that Andrew Dice Clay was, but I can't pick out anything that laughable about his material. Maybe his material was really shocking back then or maybe I'm just really, really jaded.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the huge deal is about Sam Kinison.

1 comment:

Joe Kuhn said...

You can say the same for Lenny Bruce, though Bruce's influence on entertainment in general is greater than Kinison's. I bought a CD of his, and and maybe it was at a late point in his career, but I don't recall laughing at anything the man said. It was really quite boring. But Bruce helped to make it okay to swear on stage, and Kinison helped to make it okay to take swipes at religion (even/especially if you used to be a preacher yourself). Kinison would probably make me laugh more than Bruce, but I don't know that I've heard Bruce's good stuff.