19 January 2009

The Evolution Will Not Be Televised

There's a vocal segment of the population that is trying to make people feel foolish or guilty for celebrating the Inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama. They want to remind us that Mr. Obama is just one man and, in more extreme cases, that he is not God.

I, for one, am so glad to have so many people to remind me who is and isn't God. Thank you.

All sarcasm aside, I can't quite figure out why this segment of the population is trying to quash this broad-sweeping feeling of joy that gas swept the nation. Is it just sour grapes? Do they think they're carrying Diogenes' Lantern, spewing profound, but latent, truths while sauntering around drunk on their own self-righteousness?

Or are they just Grinches that don't like seeing others make merry because a bad period has come to an end and a better one has sprung anew?


I like to think it's a mixture of all three.


I've restrained myself from asking it thus far, but who do these people think they are to tell people when they can be joyous and what they can be joyous for?

Mr. Obama is offering himself to all of us as an accountable leader with integrity. Remember the last time PotUS had both integrity and accountability? Not since I've been alive, I can't.

Do you remember the last time we had a leader who is as capable and pragmatic as he is intelligent? Maybe Mr. Clinton, but otherwise I can't.

Do you remember the last time a single man has given so much hope to as many people that anything is possible? Not in my lifetime, I can't.

Mr. Obama's presidency is going to be a rocky road, but isn't he the kind of person we want leading us? Someone who is capable, accountable and pragmatic?

His ideas are revolutionary.
No. Scratch that. Enough of this Sisyphus, revolution bullshit where things get just as bad after an upswing as they were before.

His ideas are evolutionary.
We have the option of throwing the bipartisan cat-fighting that has plagued our country since Nixon was in office. We are on the verge of embracing new ideas and doing what is right for the country instead of what is right just for the party or for ourselves.


That is exciting.
So get on the damn bus, naysayers, because we're rolling out with or without you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to see your words back up here. I've missed you so.