07 November 2008

Autumn Mix Update and Crazy Covers

For the past 3 years, around this time of year, I’ve made an Autumn Mix CD. Since it’s the middle of November, I feel the need to make a fourth. It’s become a tradition, albeit one that two or three people know about, only two of which have reaped any reward from my efforts. Next Friday I will premiere of the fourth mix, which will be a two-cd mix like the mix I made last year.

I will also be listing and analyzing the first three mix cds next week, in part because the post where I got drunk and analyzed the mid-90s cd was enormously popular and also because I want a chance to write some stuff for the week after next before I post it.

So look forward to that.

I think the true test of greatness that any pop song faces is when it remains a great song when it’s covered by someone else. Take “Hit Me Baby One More Time,” which has been covered by many people, myself (and Doug) included, and it’s almost always good. Listen to Travis and Fountains of Wayne cover it: “Hit Me Baby One More Time” is a great song.

Not many songs pass this test, but Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy” is one that passes with flying colors. Listen to The Kooks, Shaun Colvin and Nelly Furtado cover it and you’ll realize something: “Crazy” is just a great song. Give it a try, have a good weekend and stay out of trouble.

No comments: