12 November 2008

An Open Memo to Lavar Arrington

For those of you unaware of who exactly LaVar Arrington is, he's a former Redskins linebacker. He was drafted out of Penn State second overall in the 2000 NFL draft and played 5 seasons for the Redskins. He retired, due to injury, shortly thereafter. A couple of days ago he insulted his former coach and the owner of the Redskins.



LaVar,

I feel for you. I was sad to hear that your career ended so shortly and that you almost lost your young life in a motorcycle accident. I think your agents did you a great injustice in misreading your contract with the Redskins. I wish I could still watch you play almost as much as I wish I could still watch Sean Taylor play. Your career is a tragic reminder of how fickle fate it: one minute you're on top, the next you're rock bottom.

That being said, sir, I think you've made a mistake by calling Joe Gibbs a coward. A man who wants to spend time with his sick grandchild over making millions of dollars coaching football is not coward. A man who is willing to recognize his weaknesses and gracefully step away from a game that was an important and precious part of his life is no coward.

When the Redskins drafted you, LaVar, they were not looking for a roving maverick who played defense on his own terms. They were looking for a professional. They were looking for a stalwart to anchor a defense that was relying on a future-hall-of-fame cornerback and aging has-beens. If you had been more professional and followed the coach's game plan, maybe you would have had a longer, less disappointing career. There is no argument that you were an incredible talent, but the Redskins and the fans would rather have has someone a little more willing to shape his game to what the team needed. Someone like Brian Urlacher. If you asked a Redskin fan whether they'd have 5 years of you or 16 years of Urlacher, I'm sure that 90% would choose Urlacher.

My point is this, sir: you are not the only victim. The Redskins fans loved you and you let us down. Now this talk about Gibbs being a coward is you pouring salt into our wound. I think you're the coward for trying to malign two grown men because you can't taste anything but sour grapes. Wake up, LaVar! You were lucky to have played in the NFL: you should be a little more gracious to the people who drafted you, paid you, and LOVED you week in and week out.

I'd say that you should be ashamed of yourself, but it's very clear that you have no shame.

I wish you well and I hope your restaurant makes a ton of money. I still loved the years you were a Redskin.

But don't push it.

Love,
Jim

No comments: