06 July 2009

Errol Morris' documentary The Fog of War teaches us a good lesson.
In the documentary, Robert McNamara imparts on the audience a glut of learned knowledge, mostly about war, but, perhaps metaphorically, about life as well.
The most striking thing about the documentary is how penitent McNamara comes across for having drafted the blueprints of the Vietnam War.
He seemed regretful for having gotten the country into such a monumental pickle. Of course, to say that he "got us into it" is a gross simplification of such a complex event, but...for the sake of argument.

I think one of the things McNamara was driving at is that sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do for the greater good.
I think that's a fairly common belief.

But is it true? Do we really have to do so many things we don't want to out of necessity?

My job makes me want to drive into trees so that I can justify missing a couple days.
Do I need to stay at that job out of necessity?
Sure, I need the money.
But do I need it bad enough to trick myself into thinking there are no better options?

My friends and family all say that I need a job...and they're correct. Absolutely.

But do I need this one?
In this town?
At this pay grade?

My first reaction to those questions is a reluctant and weak yes, but after thinking about the question, I've come to the conclusion that all answers point in the direction of a giant, resounding, purple-neon-lighted no.

Why do we find so much comfort in the security of present conditions? Why do we feel the need to fall into place and live with discomfort or unhappiness?
Is the comfort really worth the pain?

Not to me, it's not. That's what I learned from Robert McNamara.

2 comments:

The Miz said...

From experience, I believe that the comfort of having a job for the sake of a job is not worth it if you don't like what you're doing. No one knows how to make yourself happy better than you. If the immediate remedy for your job frustration is to find another job, I don't think anyone can fault you for that. Life is too short and a job is just a job...if that made any sense.

KT said...

First of all, thanks for acknowledging the passing of McNamara. Like him or not, he was brilliant.

As far as the job goes, I think even people that love their jobs experience moments of soul-crushing, tree-driving agony. I guess the goal is to find something where those moments are few and far between.