13 April 2009

A New Beginning: Who I'm Not

I've been a pretty loyal watcher of Saturday Night Live since I was in grammar school.  It's never really been of great use to me other than shaping my sense of humor and, detrimentally, keeping me in on Saturday nights.  I know that sounds pathetic, but I really love the show.  I know it's been pretty bad up until very recently (Thank you, Lord, for Kristen Wiig), but every now and then something very funny will pop up.


Since I'm kind of starting anew with this blog, I thought I'd share one of the most recent, hilarious needles found in the large, mostly-unfunny haystack that was last week's Zac Efron episode.  I had such high hopes for Efron because he's the purtiest girl I ever seen.  Imagine my disappointment when Efron exhibited as much elan for sketch comedy as a corpse.  Oh well.

The following video is a great example of what the blogosphere has become and what I try to avoid at all costs: a group of bitter people without enough mental wherewithal to see that they're really just jealous.  Jealous of the talent that we celebrate in celebrities and of the success they have derived from it.  Other than being a very well-constructed joke, the following video dubs the blogosphere a bunch of nasally-voiced, uninformed prigs who have to slag off other people to make themselves feel valid or smart.  Snark is a weapon we use when we can't communicate why we don't like something.  Snark is ignorant.  Snark is passe. 

Snark is boring.

Well, that's not who I'm going to be: I don't want to mock things or people.  I will not compromise that for a more expansive readership or to make myself feel better.  There is much more to culture than whether I think it is good or not.  That attitude misses the mark.

Isn't it more interesting to examine why something is popular or why it is considered good?  My goal has always been to get to the bottom of things: to find the truth behind culture and use that truth as a beacon in the foggy environs of the public discourse, like Diogenes with his lantern





Am I always going to be right about the things I write about? Will I ever be right about them?  Of course not.  I recognize that everything I write is just as open to scrutiny as the things I am scrutinizing.  I've written it before: I like those celebrity blogs and I read them sometimes.
But will I stoop to that?  Can I afford to sacrifice my mind and creativity by pandering to the masses?



Bitch please.


1 comment:

Doug said...

I finally got to watch the SNL with Efron and you're right about it being not great. However, I think that the jewel of the episode was Darrell Hammond as Walt Disney explaining his suspicions about how he became unfrozen.