11 May 2009

Chee-Zee Oh Oh.

The other day I was at the rehearsal of a chorus that I’m in and Rachel Ray’s name came up. Immediately after her name was spoken, a cacophony of boos and hisses thundered down upon mine ears. I can’t say that I like Rachel Ray; I think she’s very…I’m aiming for delicacy…doable? Yeah. She’s very doable, she’s successful and she seems to have great taste in culture (if you pay attention, this becomes quite evident).

So why do so many people hate her?

What is there to hate about an ebullient, self-made media mogul who isn’t out to conquer the world, like Martha Stewart or Oprah, but more so to make our lives a little better: what is it?

Is there really anything to hate about her?

No, of course not. I feel like we collectively disdain her more because of who we are (or are not) than because of who she is.

She has it all together: a beautiful life, money, the ability to (within limits) do whatever she wants…


So is it just that we’re all really jealous of Rachel Ray?

I know I am.

No comments: