05 May 2009

First Editions

Today I picked up a first edition copy of John Updike's S.

My library wisely sells old hardcovers for $1.
My library not-so-wisely sells old first edition hardcovers for $1.



A couple of months ago I picked up a copy of Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera, which I already own in paperback, but...what the hell?  It's a first edition.


And like any other collectible, it actually only has value to me and other collectors, but I think owning first editions is cool.  

I understand that the library is happy making a buck off of a book that they probably got for free, but...why not capitalize on it more?  Granted...it's just a minor Updike, but the Marquez should be worth something, right?  Wouldn't the library benefit more by calling Sotheby's?   

1 comment:

The Miz said...

That's a pretty sweet deal. Way to shaft the man. If the public library is considered the man.