08 September 2008

Baking for Novices

This Wednesday, deep beneath Switzerland, the biggest particle-collision we know of, since the Big Bang, will take place.

That seems exciting. I'm excited for it to happen. I'm not sure what the point is...just to show what a millionth of a second after the Big Bang was like? Kay. Awesome. I'm psyched.

It's a pretty big step and maybe it will take some of the "theoretical" out of "theoretical physics," which is good. It doesn't really prove anything, but still...awesome stuff.


And really, what could go wrong?
Tiny black holes? An unexpectedly gigantic explosion?

I'm for scientific breakthroughs, don't get me wrong...but have you ever tasted a cake that has been baked without a precise recipe? Pretty nasty.

Let me rephrase: if we don't know how the Big Bang happened, how can we safely reproduce it? What if the Big Bang was the result of a much smaller particle collision? I mean...if that's the case, we'll never know, but...I hope this cake doesn't taste like shit.


Sometimes I agree with Patton Oswalt: "Science: we're all about coulda, not shoulda".



I should mention, though, that I know little about what goes into this experiment or what it may lead to. Again, like Patton Oswalt, my knowledge of science goes as far as "salt is salty".

No comments: