23 September 2008

DJ Khaled

I've always been prone to impulse buys. When I have money sometimes I'll buy something unnecessary. To be clear, most of the stuff I buy is already unnecessary, but these impulses? Even more so. It's never anything big and I refuse to spend beyond my means, but if I see a CD that I think I might like, I'll usually pick it up.

Like last Friday when I picked up DJ Khaled's new album. I should stop right here because calling it "his album" is a bit inaccurate. It seems like all he does, like all the other DJs, is put the songs on the album. He has a good ear for talent. The stars and the newcomers on the album are good. What could go wrong with Kanye, Akon, Rick Ross, The Game, Nas, Jim Jones and more on your album?


Well, I'll tell you. DJ Khaled seems to fancy himself a hype man, feeling the need to scream his name and other hiphop phrases at the beginning of every song. If he wanted to do some kind of skit at the beginning of the album hyping himself, that'd be acceptable. It'd even be expected. But on every track?

Mr. Khaled...I already bought your album. I don't need to be yelled at. Yes, I know you're the #1 hustla or whatever, but I spent my hard earned ten bucks on your CD to hear Kanye and Nas rip shit up, not you hyping yourself and giving shout outs to the nearly irrelevant Terra Squad.


Tomorrow I'm going to be writing about the 2008 Emmys. It might be more entertaining than the actual show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait, the emmys need to be royally skewered.