15 September 2008

The Little British Invasion

Little Britain was a sketch comedy show from Britain and has since been reproduced by the original creators for the US. HBO immediately picked it up and the first season starts soon.

I'm really excited for this show, even though I don't have HBO, because it's one of the funniest sketch shows I've ever seen. Most of the funniest sketch comedy shows I've seen are British.

I've embedded some sketches below, for your pleasure. Some are not safe for work.





I think this show is brilliant because, unlike most sketch shows, it's done by two people. It's rare to find two actors that can play anybody with flair and humor, but David Walliams and Matt Lucas shine. I'm really happy that America will finally see these two funny gentlemen at work. Both Lucas and Walliams have found success outside of Little Britain (Lucas is rumored to be playing Tweedledum and Tweedledee in Burton's Alice in Wonderland, while Walliams was the voice of the bear in Prince Caspian and they are pretty famous in the UK, but they're unknown over here. I especially admire Lucas for committing to the gag even if it means bearing too much or himself (both physically or personally).



So despite the fake stories (thanks Tim Curran) about the "West Hollywood Gay and Lesbian Alliance" (which apparently doesn't even exist) branding the show as obnoxious and offensive, I think everyone should give it a try.

No comments: