03 June 2009

Girls and Their Robots or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About My Life

I think I'm at a stage of my life where I merely exist on this imperceptible pivot between youth and middle-age.  I'm not really doing anything to pursue the dreams I had when I graduated college, nor am I doing anything to secure any of the hopes I had about my 30s and 40s.


I'm in this limbo where I'm too old to like the things kids like, but to young to settle for some of the things older people like.



That's why I'm always so ecstatic when a song or movie comes out that is fun and kitschy, but also mature enough for me to love.  

Royksopp (royk-sopp...exactly as it's spelled) is a Norwegian pop/dance/electronic band that has been moderately popular in the States for a while now and is, probably, much more popular in Europe.  On their most recent album they teamed up with fellow Scandinavian Robyn, who is, in my estimation, the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I love her voice and the way she blends a cheekiness with her obvious talent.  The song they made is called "The Girl and the Robot" and it's about...you guessed it...a girl and her robot.  Not in a dirty way, fellas, but in a pining, yearning way that hasn't been heard with such a mix of earnest and silliness since Madonna.  Early Madonna, like "Like a Virgin".

You don't need to be an unabashed fan of European electropop to like this song because it's one of those rare pop tunes that, like "Borderline", is too fun to dislike.  I feel really sorry for you if you don't like it at least a little because I'm going to make this song huge if it's the last thing I do.

Here it is.  It's safe for work, so crank it and spread it around your workplace like a cold.  Unless it's against company policy to rock out.  Then you better wait until you get home.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

This single is really fun and sounds great on headphones. I saw it on Pitchfork while looking at the new Dinosaur Jr vid. I think it should be packaged with this book: http://www.amazon.com/Love-Sex-Robots-Human-Robot-Relationships/dp/0061359807/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244662207&sr=8-5