27 August 2008

Batman: In the Cut

Somebody ripped pages 3, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 17 from the copy of a library book I have in my possession. This pisses me off so much because I may have never found out who Hush was, but even more because it's a damn library book. People shouldn't ruin books if the books don't belong to them. I had been waiting for this book for a month. It took a month for another library to pony up the goods. I thought I'd find out where the book came from, drop by the library and give the librarian a piece of my mind.

I flipped the book over to find out where it came from. There, emblazoned on the back cover, were the two words that send shivers down my spine: Corrections Library.

I thought for a second that it was really awesome that they have a library to fix errors with the books, like rips or tears or re-flattening my dog-eared pages.

Then I remembered the big, circular building on 270 that I pass everyday on my way to work: the one that used to house Mike Tyson for a spell.

The Montgomery County Detention Center.

After a minute of thinking, I thought to myself that the person who ripped out the pages of the book are already where they belong.

Moral? Don't rip pages from books or you'll go to jail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny.

Who is Hush? Wonder if the answer to that question was important to the inmate who ripped those pages out.

If so, I wonder why. You could ponder that in your essay for a little more depth.

Anonymous said...

I've had such a craving to read some Batman lately. I didn't read a lot when I was little, but one of my all time favorites was the "Death in the Family" arc, the one where Jason Todd dies. I owned it and everything ... I probably read it about 50 times. Are you a regular Batman reader? Tell us more, precious.