11 August 2008

The Longest Day

Since today was a big day, me starting my job and all, my body decided to fail me again. Only two hours of sleep this time, but it didn't really hurt me during the work day until 2:45 and only for a few minutes. Nothing bad, just a bit of head-nodding. I'm basically sanitizing a database and inserting correct data into said database. It's not rocket science, but it's the kind of work that not everybody can do. I found myself in a Zen-like trance this afternoon while I typed numbers into text blocks over and over. It's kind of peaceful, but at the same time it's probably going to drive me an eensie bit crazy. All the better for you, huh? I'm looking at this job as a good way to make some money while I work on my writing. It's fairly low-pressure and the environment is pretty laid back (the guy next to me was wearing a t-shirt), so it's good experience. I'd like to stay until the project has been completed, but I can't predict the future. At the very least I'll be able to go to the theater whenever I want.

After a day of work, though, I finally get it. I get why normal people don't listen to more music or watch better movies or read better books. Work really does have a way of killing the desire to explore culture. Work sucks all of the cultural curiosity (culturosity?) out of you! That's not to say my inquisitiveness is extinct: it just has a tiny cold.

Give me a day or two to think of something really good to say. It, like sleep (hopefully), will come.

In the mean time, enjoy this picture of Rip Taylor! His eyes follow you no matter where you go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it takes an adjustment period, because you will just want to sleep or veg when you come home. I think this leads to alot of cultural ignorance. The last time most people cared about movies or music, they were cramming for the SATs. Now that they have brains more adept to mature things, they don't have the capacity. I wouldn't worry about yourself though, work doesn't change you that much.

Anonymous said...

Life is a facinating journey. I look forward to reading your observations on the journey. As an old history major with some interest in sociology, I want to point out to you that in this most recent entry, you speak of alienation. An interesting product of an industrial (and post-industrial)economy.
As I said, I look forward to reading your future(albeit farther apart)observations on joining the American labor force ...