28 July 2008

Batman is Serious Business

I saw The Dark Knight last Friday and, despite all of the insufferable hype that has been affixed to it, the film does not disappoint. I think it's a fantastic film, but I'm not quite sure it's as good as the first. The first film explores Batman a little more thoroughly than the second does and in The Dark Knight it feels that Batman is something of a side note to the Joker. That's just me picking nits, though. It's a great movie.

There is one thing that I hated about it, though. It has nothing to do with the film itself. It's more of a byproduct of the film. Remember when people started quoting Dave Chappelle and Superbad?

Now you're going to hear people start saying "Why so serious" all the time. Thank you, makers of The Dark Knight. Thank you. Even as I type this I know some jerk is going to leave a comment asking why I'm so serious.


In other news, Mike Myers has said that The Love Guru was a tribute to his recently-deceased father. He must have really hated his dad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see The Love Guru? I resisted the urge to catch Colbert and John Oliver on the big screen ... I'm sure there were in it all of 30 seconds. It looked pretty awful.

Jim Eustice said...

I haven't seen it, no, but from what I've read, heard and seen, it's a horrible movie.

Anonymous said...

Dude! I don't get it ... you said there was one thing that bothered you about Dark Knight, but I can't understand from what you wrote what it was.
I'm going to see the movie Thursday with your uncle and my brother, and hey, I want to know what to look for.

Andy said...

I thought it was good, but I'm afraid that Heath Ledger is getting too much hype. He was good, but I was, as I've told you before, expecting the transcendent performance of our generation. I thought he was really good, but not transcendent. His performance didn't change my life.

Okay, I feel that I must comment on my word verification here. It is "furpuwew." I'm sorry, but I found it so amusing I had to mention it.

Jim Eustice said...

The thing that bugs me about it is that it's going to spawn another annoying catch phrase that people are going to start saying ad nauseum.